Your waters just released – now what? When you water breaks, it can be released as a few drops at a time or in a gush. Only 10 per cent of women will experience waters releasing before labour has started. When this happens, labour usually starts within 24 hours. The other 90 per cent of women’s waters will release at some point during labour, usually in active labour. Here is information on self-care and warning signs.
About 75 per cent of women with PROM at term (“premature rupture of membranes” i.e. before labour starts, from 37 weeks on) give birth within 24 hours. This increases to 90 per cent within 48 hours and 95 per cent by 72 hours. People often worry about infection after waters release. Note that risk of infection increases with internal exams (vaginal exams), fever in mother and being confirmed GBS-positive. So this is something to be aware of.
If any of these occur, seek medical attention in a timely manner.
- If waters release before 37 weeks, contact your medical care provider and/or go to hospital.
- If fluid is coloured (yellow, green, brown) or has a strong smell, then contact your medical care provider.
- If you have any signs of fever contact your medical care provider.
- If your baby isn’t moving normally, then contact your medical care provider.
- This is a 911 call! If you feel a cord between your legs or at the vaginal opening, assume a “child’s pose” with bum in the air (on hands and knees with chest on the ground) and call 911.
- Nothing inside! That includes internal examinations unless there’s a good reason to do one. There’s a correlation between time on first internal exam and onset of infection; the earlier the initial internal exam, the higher the risk of infection. Risk of infections goes up with number of internal examinations.
- Baths in your own tub at home are fine. Once you’re in active labour then baths are also fine in your private birth room. Use showers instead when in public spaces (e.g. hotel, hospital assessment washroom).
- Be aware of signs of infection such as fever. Take your temperature every 4-8 hours during awake hours.
- Stay hydrated. Consider if you’ve had a steady stream of fluid or just that early trickle. It’s also possible to have a little “high leak” without membranes fully releasing. A healthy mama/baby will continue to make amniotic fluid.
- Take care of hygiene:
- Wear a clean pad and change it often
- When using the toilet, one wipe from front to back per tissue
- Wash hands before and after using toilet or changing pads
Go to Hospital… or Not?
This should be discussed with your midwife or doctor at prenatal appointments ahead of time in case they have specific instructions for you. If fluid is clear then you may have the choice to stay home or contact your medical care provider for options. Generally there are 3 things assessed at hospital:
- Baby’s health (by listening to fetal heart tones)
- Maternal health (vital signs and interview)
- Presence (or absence) of amniotic fluid (the “waters”) present
If you go to hospital and you’re not in active labour, you will likely be offered a sterile-speculum exam (think PAP test); the purpose being to confirm your waters actually released. This is optional, although it’s not usually presented as such. Other ways to determine if waters actually released may included simply asking the pregnant woman or dipping the testing swab into her wet pad.
- If you previously tested “GBS positive” then your medical care provider may recommend induction.
- If you previously tested “GBS negative” then may be offered induction but will more likely be sent home to wait for labour to start. If labour hasn’t started within 24 hours then your medical care provider may recommend induction.
- Go to hospital for maternal and baby assessment but decline internal examination.
- Go to hospital and consent to all of it – sterile speculum exam, maternal and baby assessment.
- Stay home and wait for labour to start, barring any warning signs or health complications. Practice good self-care, be aware of warning signs, and pay attention to your baby’s movements.
Here is an excellent article about obstetrical care of women with Premature Rupture of Membranes (PROM) at term (37+ weeks), including discussion of differences in outcomes with GBS positive and negative, options, and when labour typically starts.
I teach a variety of Child Birth Education classes and prenatal workshops online for students all over. I have been a birth doula since 2002, and have helped over 300 mothers with their births and over 1000 through prenatal classes. Learn more about my birth doula services, and contact me with any questions you may have.