Are you pregnant and wish to be empowered and respected through their pregnancy and birth journey, but don’t know where to start? My doulas services provide a deep-dive into preparing for your ideal birth. Perhaps you want a better experience than the mainstream medical model. You want your unique wishes understood and followed, and information to make actual informed choices. Partners want to be supported in that fine balance of being a helpful birth-partner while calmly going through your own journey.
Doulas provide continuous physical, emotional and informational support through pregnancy, birth and early postpartum. This support results in more positive birth outcomes.
Doulas are experts in non-pharmaceutical pain relief through a variety of positions, comfort measures, massage techniques, acupressure, breathing techniques and nourishment.
Benefits of Doula Support.
Studies demonstrate that doula presence correlates with:
- 50% reduction in overall cesarean rate
- 25% decrease in length of labor
- 40% reduction in oxytocin use
- 60% less requests for epidural
- Less painful labor and delivery
Doulas compliment and enhance the father or birth-partner ’s role. The whole family benefits through increased family bonding, healthier babies, positive breastfeeding relationships, and less postpartum depression.
A Bit About My Doula Services
I have attended more than 300 births in over 15 years, in homes, hospitals and birth-centres, and with a variety of midwives, doctors, and nurses. I’m experienced in several childbirth preparation methods (e.g. Hypnobirthing), with VBAC births, multiples, water-birth, high-risk and of course normal labour and birth .
My role as a doula is to create a safe cocoon within which you can labour and give birth as you desire. Your prenatal appointments are set up intentionally to get to know each other and get prepared before you go into labour. I’ll become familiar with you and your partner, and your specific preferences, needs, and wishes. To assist you in creating a personalized birth plan, I can provide educational resources and information based on years of experience.
One of my objectives is to protect the memory of your birth, no matter where or how you choose to birth. My most sincere wish is that you look back on this birth with fond memories and feelings of satisfaction, and that your new baby’s birthday is a wonderful, empowering event!
I offer a complimentary meeting to chat about what kind of support you’d like, what kind of support we offer, and to learn what your needs & birth wishes are. Most importantly it’s an opportunity for us to find out if it feels right to work together. In an ideal world only people with whom you feel totally comfortable would be invited to such an important event!
Please feel free to book an intro-meeting but before you do, please read this extra information about my doula services, which includes fees and a variety of birth doula support packages .
Education & Experience
- Over 300 births in 5 hospitals, 2 birth centres, and many homes
- Member of RQHR Perinatal Services Committee (which means being completely up to date on obstetrical policy, and healthy doula-medical staff relationships)
- Master Birth Doula – BWI, CAPPA, DONA since 2000
- Certified Doula Trainer (BWI)
- Past-President, Doulas of Regina Association
- Certified Placenta Encapsulator and Trainer since 2010
- Have completed 3 years of a Bachelor of Science in Midwifery
- Master Herbalist studies included herbology (safe use & contraindications), holistic nutrition, homeopathy, and culminated in thesis titled Prenatal Nutrition & Holistic Health.
- Honors Bachelor of Science degree (pre-med) focused on physiology, anatomy, nutrition, cellular & microbiology, biochemistry, immunology, and pharmacology.
- Continuing education workshops & professional development. E.g. Ina May Gaskin seminar, pelvic floor workshop, Penny Simkin seminar, Childbirth Educator & Breastfeeding workshops, Post-Partum Depression seminars, Trust Birth Conference in Redondo California).
- Professional Associations: Clinic Without Walls, Bow Valley Doula Collective, Doulas of Regina, Prairie Birth Collective.