Placenta Encapsulation – Birth Bag Note
- Ensure birth-plan includes “we will be keeping our placenta” or just let staff know (you don’t have to say what you’re doing with it – unless you want to).
- Print this Birth-Bag Note so you know what to do, when, and place in your birth-bag. (Birth Bag Note as printable .pdf)
- Please put an envelope with cash payment in your birth-bag if you plan to pay cash. If you’ve been unable to send us the signed contract, please add that to the envelope.
- Put a back-up container in your birth-bag:
- The RGH container is our fave; if they offer, please use it. The lid is loose so it has to be put into a leak-proof bag (e.g. XL zip-lock) for added security.
- Other options: a 2L ice-cream pail or any disposable plastic, lidded, container (about 30 x 20 x 5cm) and a size XL zip-lock bag.
- Two large zip-lock freezer bags will do in a pinch.
Labour: If possible, we like a heads-up text if labour starts during work hours (8am-9pm).
Birth: Please put placenta in a container ready for pick-up.
- Between 8am-9pm: Text both Angie & Karen when the placenta is ready for pick-up.
- Birth between 9pm-8am: Chill the placenta and text both Angie & Karen after 8am for pickup. PLEASE DO NOT TEXT/CALL AT NIGHT.
Note: If you text and get no response within 45 minutes then please chill the placenta. Be assured we’ll respond ASAP. This is rare and likely means we’re at a birth.
- Your nurse or midwife will usually put the placenta in the container for you.
- If placenta is not being picked up right away, then keep it cold – in a fridge or cooler, or on ice. To ice the placenta, put a couple scoops of ice / ice-bag / ice-pack into container; or keep the container on top of the bag of ice – the cold goes through the plastic.
Placenta Pickup: We will text you when we arrive and then meet you just outside your unit (either Labour/Birth or Mother/Baby) or at your front door (home birth).
Capsules Delivery: The caps take 2-3 days to prepare. We’ll text to arrange a delivery time and place, either at RGH or at your home in city limits. Other arrangements are available for out of town clients.
Thank-you, Karen Herriot 306-529-5753 and Angie Evans 306-216-8116